Stanley Bednar

Stanley Bednar began studying the violin at an early age. His post-secondary education was received at Eastman, Juilliard, and Manhattan School of Music, with summer studies at the University of Minnesota. Mr. Bednar also served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War and was decorated for valor.

His professional performance career has included solo appearances throughout the Western Hemisphere, participation in various chamber music groups, membership in several symphony orchestras, and appearances at international music festivals.

In 1954, Mr. Bednar was appointed to the college faculty of Manhattan School of Music as a teacher of violin and chamber music, joining the School’s Preparatory Division in 1956. That same year, he assisted the Manhattan School administration in preparing for its initial accreditation for four subsequent inspections, having served in every capacity over the years while maintaining a teaching schedule at the School. Mr. Bednar was responsible for establishing the procedures for college admission which were later adopted by all conservatories and schools of music. He was instrumental in adding new degree programs and the entire doctoral program. Mr. Bednar was solely in charge of the re-construction of the School’s present facilities at 120 Claremont Avenue, its move from East Harlem, and the sale of those buildings. He was the School’s representative to both the Federal and State governments and was instrumental in obtaining applications for various grants totaling several million dollars, enabling the School to relocate. He also worked directly with the NEA to establish its initial program of grants to independent conservatories and with the New York State Council on the Arts for major support of the opera program. For ten years Mr. Bednar served as an executive officer of the Association of Independent Conservatories and for twenty-five years was on the board of the Morningside Area Alliance. In addition, Mr. Bednar served for seven years as the chief executive at Manhattan School of Music.

Manhattan School of Music faculty since 1954.